As defined by Five Star Professional, the financial services professional has not:
• Been subject to a regulatory action that resulted in a license being suspended or
revoked, or payment of a fine.
• Had more than a total of three customer complaints filed against them (settled or
pending) with any regulatory authority or Five Star Professional’s consumer complaint
• Individually contributed to a financial settlement of a customer complaint filed with a
• Filed for personal bankruptcy.
• Been convicted of a felony.
Five Star Professional conducts a regulatory review of each candidate. Five Star
Professional also uses multiple supporting processes to help ensure that a favorable
regulatory and complaint history exists.
• Each candidate who passes the Five Star Professional regulatory review must attest that
they meet the definition of favorable regulatory history, based upon the criteria listed
• Five Star Professional promotes via local advertising the opportunity for consumers to
confidentially submit complaints regarding a potential winner.
• Five Star Professional contacted approximately 1 in 12 households identified as having
a high propensity to use taxation or estate planning services in order to provide
consumers the opportunity to submit complaints regarding a potential winner.
Five Star Financial
Evaluation Criteria – Considered
5. One-year client retention rate.
6. Five-year client retention rate.
7. Number of client households served.
8. Recent personal production and performance (industry-specific criteria).
9. Education and professional designations/industry and board certifications.
10. Pro bono and community service work.
Eligibility Criteria – Required
1. Credentialed with appropriate state or industry licensures.
2. Actively employed as a credentialed professional in the financial services
industry for a minimum of five years.
3. Favorable regulatory and complaint history review*.
4. Accepting new clients.
2016 New Jersey
of Award Winners
These days, it takes a village to manage one’s financial world. Whether it be navigating the ever-changing landscape of tax law, sorting out your estate and
succession planning, or picking the right life insurance, financial services professionals are instrumental to a sound, holistic financial plan.
So how do you find a financial services professional with experience, who has a good base of clients with high retention rates, and who has undergone a
regulatory and complaint review? And when you find them, are they accepting new clients?
New Jersey Monthly and Five Star Professional partnered to find financial services professionals who satisfy objective eligibility and evaluation criteria. For
the purposes of this program, financial services professionals are defined as those who prepare a financial plan or help implement aspects of a financial
plan, including financial planners, tax advisors, life and disability insurance professionals, and estate planning attorneys. Award candidates are identified
by one of three sources: firm nomination, peer nomination or pre-qualification. Self-nominations for this award are not accepted.
The 2016 Five Star Financial Services Professionals are a select group, representing less than 1 percent of the financial services
professionals in the New Jersey area. Though this list is a useful tool for anyone looking for help with their financial plan, it should not
be considered exhaustive. Undoubtedly, there are many excellent financial services professionals who, for one reason or another, are
not on this year’s list.
• Financial services professionals do not pay a fee to be considered
or placed on the final list of Five Star Financial Services
Professionals. Once awarded, professionals may opt to purchase
additional profile ad space or related award promotional
• The Five Star award is not indicative of a professional’s future performance.
• The award methodology does not evaluate the quality of services provided.
• The inclusion of a financial services professional on the Five Star Financial Services Professionals list
should not be construed as an endorsement of the professional by Five Star Professional or New Jersey
• 1,164 award candidates in the New Jersey area were considered for the Five Star Financial Services
Professional award. 70 (approximately 7 percent of the award candidates) were named 2016 Five Star
Financial Services Professionals.
• Five Star Professional is not an advisory firm, and the content of this article should not be considered
financial advice. For more information on the Five Star award, go to www.fivestarprofessional.com.
Award candidates who satisfied the following objective eligibility and evaluation criteria were named 2016
Five Star Financial Services Professionals.
For more information on the program, go to www.fivestarprofessional.com/Financial_Services.pdf.